Friday, May 1, 2009

Professional Profile

Mission Statement
To maintain a continued personal commitment to make the world a better place. My willingness and enjoyment in helping others is something I value and see as a personal strength. My mission is to be happy and be a part of making other people happy. This includes supporting my family, friends, and community. I will set and meet both personal and professional goals without sacrificing beliefs, values, and dreams. A reputation of dependability, being organized, caring, and finding the good in situations is an asset and keeps me focused through the journey of life. The ability to make a less than happy situation into something positive is my advantageous trait.

I am an Alverno graduate with a degree in English and a support in Communications, a mother of two, a wife, and a volunteer. My first commitment is to my family. Supporting and guiding my children. My goal is to make a difference in the lives of troubled youth. The path I take to reach this goal is winding. Experience is important and to obtain this I plan to:
· Apply to be a grade school substitute teacher.
· Volunteer at my daughter’s school.
· Volunteer at community centers.
· Participate actively in the programs at Divine Mercy Church in South Milwaukee.

Learning experiences are a daily occurrence and I have been made more aware of this fact since returning to college at Alverno. Both inside and outside the walls of Alverno, I am thankful for what the college has given me. Four years ago speeches, presentations, or talking in front of a number of people scared me to death. However, after my second week of classes this insecure feeling was quickly an issue of the past. The strength and self-confidence I worked hard to achieve, has given me the ability to present with confidence.

Instructors that I have had will be remembered as mentors and friends. They are truly an inspiration. A student’s best interest is their best interest; they push just enough to obtain the best an idividual has to offer.

A presentation that I am most proud, because of what it represents, is one I worked on during fall semester 2008 in a Professional Communications class. I had the opportunity to be a co-director of an infomercial on racism in Milwaukee. As part of my responsibilities, I put together a PowerPoint presentation successfully putting the project Journalists in the mood to go out and tackle the topic. All the women in class learned (unfortunately) racism presents itself in many forms. The topic of racism carried over into a Humanities class I was a part of during spring semester 2009. It is in this class I made my career goal decision. As stated in my mission statement, I hope to work with at risk youth through community centers, elementary schools, and church.

As a wife of a police officer and a mother of two girls, I personally want to see more unity and peace within communities; no racism whatsoever, and healthy choices made by parents, adults, teens, and children. There has been a few events in my life that impacted my learning. Turning 40 was one, working on and writing hard news and feature stories in a communications and journalism class was another. I am a strong news writer and plan to carry out this strength with the continuation of a blog posting through the CommunityNow website. Also, as an active volunteer and PTO member at my children’s school, this has given me the gift of patience, a stronger team work approach, and the knowledge that children can teach as well as learn. More importantly, each event has made me stronger and provided me with the desire to be a better person, mother, and student (we never stop learning).

In closing, I reflect upon how it often seems time gets away from me or consumes me, but Alverno has helped me to evolve into a person that can handle stress, life, family, education and carve out enough time to come out on the other end successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment